Sunday, December 6, 2009

#holidayclassic

This weekend I got to experience a holiday classic...roasted chestnuts! It was my very first time, well at least to my recollection. Delicious open roasted chestnuts served in little paper bags, YUM! The taste was a mix between roasted breadfruit and sweet potatoe..oh so perfect to enjoy on a brisk winter day.

The enjoyable treat had me curious of its nutritional facts, here's what I gathered; they're the only nuts that contain a significant dose of vitamin C (up to 1.7mg), low in fat and contain no cholesterol making them great snacks. They also contain trace minerals like manganese, potassium, copper, phosphorus, magnesium and iron.

Like other nuts chestnuts help prevent heart risk and provides energy. They can be prepared by boiling, roasting or soaking them in wine like they do in Italy..who knew. So t'is the season for truly enjoying a #holidayclassic.

In Joy!

No comments: